Monday, February 20, 2012

Letting Go. My first journal quilt ever

I joined the Journal Quilt challenge with the Contemporary Quilt Guild UK.  The first four quilts have to be mostly red and I knew I had a couple of red dresses in my stash which, even if I could get into (I can't), I could never wear again as what looks ok on a slender 30 year old, would never do on a podgy grey haired old dear!
It was time to let go. 
The quilt is A4 sized, 11.5" x 8" and has the beaded crochet backed with commercial cotton and batting.  Once I did the hand stitching I backed it with more commercial cotton and 'tied' the quilt together using buttons back and front.  The backing fabric was folded over to the front and slip stitched into place.  I may add extra stitching on the border. 
The stitching was influenced by my friend Tina who uses lovely bright colours and free exuberant stitches. 

2 comments:

Rachel Murphree said...

Wendy, this is gorgeous! good for you for letting go, joining the challenge, and producing such a lovely piece of work. I trust it'll be there when I'm there so I can see it in person?

Julie said...

I seem to have missed a few of your posts, not sure how. This is beautiful, well done you! Definite Tina influence here ;-)