Monday, May 18, 2009

Seville

We docked at Cadiz and had a coach drive to get to Seville, which wasn't the top of my list of places to go, after Rome I thought it might be a bit of a letdown. The guide gave us a map and information about a couple of places we could visit. Because it was sunday the Cathedral was closed until 2.30 but was pretty spectacular both outside and in and well worth the wait. This view is by the entrance, zoom in to see the amazing carved patterns.



I have to share a picture of the tomb of Christopher Columbus.






The Green Man image is reasonably common in Britain but I also saw similar carved images all over Europe.




The cathedral has a gazillion wondrous things, many carved angels and an amazing gold wall behind the main altar which hurt your eyes it shone so much. If you look closely though, you will see the heavy layer of dust on the tableau, I don't know how often this is cleaned but it must be due any time soon :)







Sometimes you have to look in unusual places to find the best stuff and look what I found hidden behind a locked iron gate. The arm of each seat had a different image.







I was so frustrated to not be able to close up to these, I would have loved to take a picture of each one. You have to love those artisans who carved these.

No comments: