Sunday, July 04, 2010

Indigo happy dancing

I set up my first solo indigo vat.  It is pretty obvious that the dyed pieces are not perfect so why the happy dance?
I wanted an indigo dyed fabric with rust marks.  But I didn't want to rust my fabric because I am afraid it will rust my sewing machine.  I scrunched dyed some cotton poplin with orange rust procion dye. It came out orange with white marks. Then I stitched and tied the fabric and dipped it into my indigo bucket.  You can see the results.   (Two of the pieces were undyed)

I used the Hydros recipe in Janice Gunner's book, it was simple 'bung it in the bucket and stir' and it worked.  The hydros bleached out the orange colour where it reached = the blue fabric with orange marks = happy dance.

5 comments:

Rachel Murphree said...

Oh Wendy, these are BEAUTIFUL! wow. Love them. What a creative idea to get "rusted" fabrics this way. The blues and oranges together are stunning.

Anonymous said...

You got great patterns. Fabulous stitching and pulling. Really! You must do more.

Julie said...

I'd say that was a huge success! :o) You've got some lovely patterns and marks in your fabric as well as the desired rust and indigo effect. Excellent!

Sue said...

Gorgeous pieces! You have good reason to dance.

Susan said...

Love your work!!!! So beautiful.