Friday, May 28, 2010

Out and about in Ely

I was invited to join Julie and Jackie for a day in Ely, Cambridgeshire.  It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed a little stroll along the waterside. 







The babylon-gallery had an textile
exhibition by Stitch-links. 





The three of us had different favorites, mine was the work of Liz Hunter, indigo dyed rusted pieces of fabric, some with added rusty objects. 












Marilyn Carter had some lovely layered pieces too.  This one is called 'Power of Money' and had layers of sheer fabric with printed Euro, dollar and £notes with added hand stitching.  For some reason it was quite hard to keep my hands off this :)








Sheila Cahn's work had multiple layers of hand-dyed fabrics, stitched and slashed. 


It was a very varied and interesting exhibition.







Next door to the gallery is the Peacock Tea Rooms and we popped in for a cup of tea and a sandwich.  Emma joined us, she had spent ages stuck in her car because there was a problem with railway signals and the barriers wouldn't go up.  Just to keep her company we had to have cake!  After a long lunch sharing links, tips and gossip, Julie and I had a leisurely walk back to the railway station. 

On the platform there is a delightful shop which reminded me of East (Covent Garden) but tons cheaper.  I purchased these Indian Print Blocks for a song. 


I also received three gorgeous presents, I am embarrassed to say I hadn't taken anything of mine, so until I have returned the compliment I won't show you my goodies. 

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the print blocks.

Rachel Murphree said...

Love the colors on Sheila Cahn's piece! what a fun day you had. and it's so GREEN there! beautiful.